We got back from a trip to Germany last night and have started the day off well. In the bathtub this morning I read the Letters of Saint Francis and "No Turning Back" by George Verwer, a book that I have'nt read for 15 years. It was refreshing to read. I had a dream about George Verwer a few nights ago. I was with him in Malaysia 2 years ago and, while standing in the swimming pool with him (it was not a contest to see who was the skinniest), I asked a few questions about Operation Mobilization in a postmodern world. But my attitude did not carry respect for the great mission that he leads (and which my wife and I spent 2 wonderful years of our lives) and that conversation has haunted me since then.
But it was good to read of his challenge to die to self and live to Christ, something that I have tried to practise. It was also refreshing to hear another voice about material possessions, saying it was OK not to give up possessions and potential to make money in order to follow God. This was encouraging. We have given what we have away to God over and over again. I am now approaching 40, I drive a 19 year old car, do not own any property, do not have any life insurance or retirement, have no savings. But I do have a story and I place my hope in God who never lets me down. He is faithful to carry me and my huge family. And he will.
As for the people that are currently criticizing Emergent for making lots of money on the postmodern subject, well, they are welcome to look at my assets and ask the question, "Are you raping the Body of Christ for her money?"
They can also look at my schedule. Next week I teach in Budapest (for free) and I have to pay to get myself there. It costs money to teach on this subject, and the new organic churches that are popping up do not have money to pay me. Honestly, I will not be getting rich doing this. Really.
BTW - I am not against ownership of property - I have owned a few houses in the past. We sold one to get our family to Australia and sold the next house to get us back to USA. It has been 3 years now since we left USA and my family would like to have a furlough but they know that we dont have another house to sell, and that following Jesus costs everything. Just as George Verwer said and has lived. Like George, we are content and delighted that God has chosen us for his purposes. It is worth the sacrifice and more. Thanks George. You rock!

Popular Posts