My copy of Alternative Worship just arrived. Written by Jonny Baker and Doug Gray, and lots of other English voices. Although I havent read it through yet, it seems to be better than I expected and far more practical. It has a LOT of great resources and is worth investing in. It is also a very LOCAL book - it is about the English scene - dont be expecting a global sweep of creative worship because it is not there. Sometimes I suspect that the English dont want to know that meaningful creative worship exists outside of their country. Thats OK. I wont tell them if you dont. Anyway, the American books usually focus on USA so it is fair that an English book like this one stays local.
It is a really great book and I will have to buy some more copies to give away. If you liked The Prodigal Project, then you need to go one step further and buy this book.
Hows this for spicy?
In his book, Jonny calls alt. worship POST-EVANGELICAL and POST-CHARASMATIC. You would get into trouble in USA for those remarks . .
"I would not say such things if I were you! . . ." (hand on dagger)
But Jonny is an Englishman and he can upset people if he wants to. Actually, it is not an angry or divisive book at all. But rather a very practical and thoughtfull look at an incredible movement of God that is transforming the way we worship in community. Nuff said!

Popular Posts