Brad Cecil recommends everyone read this article. Next-Wave web site is cool and this is an honest and gutsy piece about the "Postmodern Super Friends". Brad might be a little upset because he was in the group that Dave is criticizing. The group was actually called "Young Leaders". Brad became one of the group in 1997. So did I. There were about 10 of us and our wives so we called ourselves "The group of 10". The group later became "Terranova" and later became "Emergent". I suppose we were kinda like Super Friends. We did a lot of conferences. Sometimes there was a lot of angst flying around (Mark Driscoll and Chris Seay, mainly) but the mid nineties was a time when there was much disonnance in the church and no one was verbalizing it. So we did it for them. Things got nicer and smoother later when Brian MacLaren joined the group. But they were good times and some of the greatest moments in the nineties for me was hanging and eating and taking risks with these 9 other guys.
But there is a passage that bugs me a little in that article.
Quote "The Postmodern Super Friends are a group of people (mostly pastors) who came out of modern Christian culture. They recognized change and responded in a very courageous way. They began to explore postmodern theory and relating it to Christian ministry. They are not native to postmodernism, and often their role is communicating these ideas to other people within the modern culture."
Ahhh. . .not really. We were not all coming from the modern church background, trying to understand the natives. At the time, I was living and ministering among street kids and postmodern subcultures in San Francisco's Haight Ashbury district. I ran a community center. I mangaged a feeding program. I had addicts coming off heroin on my living room carpet and aids-victims washing themselves in my bathtub. We were starting movements among ravers, punks, Gobi/Rainbow kids. Our worship took place at clubs and drum circles. When I was asked by Doug to be a part of the group, the postmodern world made sense to me at an intuitive level. Exploring the postmodern theory was something that came much later. And still continues. More on this later.

Popular Posts