Just thinking about Bob Hope, who died last week. Once I dressed up as Bob Hope for an Innovative Church Conference that the Young Leaders group (now known as Emergent), were teaching at.
The conference was fine but I thought it needed a bit of spicing up, and it happened to be Bob's birthday, so I put on my red tarten golf pants, carried a golf bag that i scored from a local thrift store, and came in late with shouts of "where's my golf ball?", and "its over here" etc.

Anyway, when I think of Bob Hope, I remember that conference at Glorieta, New Mexico, and the surprised look on the faces of the pastors and leaders who watched me enter as Bob and then teach on teh emerging church.

Good time indeed - Witnesses were the other guys on teh team - Doug Pagitt, Chris Seay, Brad Cecil, Mark Driscoll and Ron Johnson.

I miss those times.

By the way, Emergent are having a gathering at the same conference center in New Mexico this October and I am trying really hard to be there.

Price? 0 dollars - which is a really good deal.
Same price as Wabi Sabi in England (Aug 15-17), except that Wabi Sabi is limited to about 35 people (already accounted for) and perhaps one or two more who would have to apply to Erika if they really felt like God wanted them to come. (Let me know if that is you). Dont mean to be snobby - its just that it is more of a roundtable for key people and a skill development training for those that are doing more organic church and using multimedia in ministry - which is not the majority of church folk, and keeping it intimate and small will help ensure that training will take place without overwhelming everyone.

But still, if you are in England and you are a Theoblogian/house church planter among emerging culture/multimedia artist/total Freakoid/etc then Wabi Sabi may be a place to meet like minded people.

If not, see you all at Greenbelt Festival or perhaps Emergent UK which happens November.

Popular Posts